Construction of Brooklands Track 1906 to 1907 - + - bs6_5.jpg

Archive Index Page | Previous Photograph | Next Photograph | Thumbnails | Main Brooklands Society Website


 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
A photograph of Hugh Fortesque Locke-King who decided during a European tour that Britain had to have its own motor testing track if its fledgling car industry were to develop and prosper in competition with Europe. He was to spend over 150,000, in today's terms several million Pounds, building Brooklands on what is essentially the flood plain of the River Wey. So just who was Hugh Locke-King and what was on the site originally? The Brooklands estate is reputed to have taken its name from the 12th century lord of the manor, Robert del Brok. In the sixteenth century Henry VIII is said to have used it as a hunting ground, his local lodge being Oatlands Place. The 700 acres that made up Brooklands Farm and Byfleet Park Farm were owned during the 19th century by the Duke of York who sold them in 1830 for 28,000 to Peter King the 7th Baron of Ockham. Hugh Locke-King was Peter King's son.



Contact us by:
Telephone: 01252 408877
Fax: 01252 408878
email: admin@brooklands.org.uk
The Brooklands Society Ltd
Fleet
Hants, GU52 6QG
Registered in England: 918632
This web site conforms with the Duration of Copyright and Rights in Performances Regulations 1995.
All photographs on this website are copyright The Brooklands Society.
Web site design and hosting by Hartland Internet.